Since relationships are two-sided, you can be responsible only for your part. To take responsibility, a few guidelines help:
• Clearly see the difference between past and present.
• Don’t inflict past relationships on present ones.
• Relate on the basis of shared positive values. Avoid relating on the basis of prejudices and shared bias.
• As a leader, try to relate equally and impartially.
• Avoid making the other person wrong.
• Follow the Golden Rule: other people will sense when you are treating them they way you would want to be treated.
• Increase the other person’s self esteem.